Kenneth Chenault is CEO and Chairman at American Express. Kenneth exudes leadership, and is a role model. He's straight-forward, engaging, speaks from years of experiences, and inspiring in his own way. Kenneth has been CEO for over 15 years and has been with the company for over 32 years. Below are the 6 characteristics Kenneth shared that great leaders exhibit.
- Integrity: Consistency in behavior, actions, and words
- Courage: Speak-up and give your view. Show that you take things personally
- Team-Player: Be independent, but STILL a team player
- Strong Execution Skills: You have to perform and EXECUTE
- Interested in Developing Others: Do you help develop your peers. Your success depends on your team.
- Adaptable: Be flexible of solving problems in different ways. The strongest and smartest species don't survive, the ones who adaptive do.
I can't stress how important these characteristics are, especially #4.
Kenneth Chenault Quotes:
- On Leadership: "Define reality and give hope”
- On Diversity: "When you hire people that are different, you tend to see more people that are different at your company"
- On Communication: “Tell people the truth, and don’t talk down to people”
- On Building a Good Brand: "Brands are about bringing an emotional and rational connection together"
- On Feedback: "Internal and external feedback are important. For external feedback I ask people, ‘What do you think we’re doing wrong?' to get other perspectives"
- On Personal Growth: “You are your personal brand”