Kenneth Chenault was CEO and Chairman at American Express from 2001 – Feb 2018. Kenneth was CEO for over 16 years and was with the company for over 36 years. I have been following him throughout the years and extremely fond of his leadership ability. He's straight-forward, engaging, speaks from years of experiences, and has great leadership principles that I practice. Below are the 6 characteristics Kenneth shared that great leaders exhibit.
Integrity: Consistency in behavior, actions, and words
Courage: Speak-up and give your view. Show that you take things personally
Team-Player: Be independent, but STILL a team player
Strong Execution Skills: You have to perform and EXECUTE
Interested in Developing Others: Do you help develop your peers. Your success depends on your team.
Adaptable: Be flexible of solving problems in different ways. The strongest and smartest species don't survive, the ones who adaptive do.
I can't stress how important these characteristics are, especially #1 & #6.
Kenneth Chenault Quotes:
- On Leadership: "Define reality and give hope”
- On Diversity: "When you hire people that are different, you tend to see more people that are different at your company"
- On Communication: “Tell people the truth, and don’t talk down to people”
- On Building a Good Brand: "Brands are about bringing an emotional and rational connection together"
- On Feedback: "Internal and external feedback are important. For external feedback I ask people, ‘What do you think we’re doing wrong?' to get other perspectives"
- On Personal Growth: “You are your personal brand”